- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 4 slices turkey bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 6 slices reduced-calorie whole-wheat bread
- 4 large eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- 3/4 cups skim milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup low-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
Heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add the onion and asparagus and sauté until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat the broiler.
Off the heat, coat the same skillet with cooking spray. Arrange the bread tightly in the bottom of the skillet. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture over the bread and allow it to soak in entirely (like when making French toast). Sprinkle the bread with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
Place the skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook, shaking the pan frequently to promote even cooking, until almost cooked through to the top, about 4 or 5 minutes.
Place the skillet under broiler to set the eggs, about 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the broiler and top with bacon-vegetable mixture, remaining Parmesan cheese, and Cheddar cheese. Place the skillet under the broiler again until the cheese melts, about 1-2 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.