Paleo Un-Stuffed Cabbage Soup
This is a great one-pot meal that's a fun twist on a favorite, stuffed cabbage.
Click here to see more recipes on Cindy's Table.
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 1/2 Pound ground pork
- 1 Cup shredded cauliflower
- 1/4 Cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons plus 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 3 Cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium cabbage, core removed (4 cups)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat, cauliflower, zucchini, cumin, and 2 tablespoons of chopped onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste and lightly mix until well incorporated. Form into 1-inch balls. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large stock pot and add the meatballs. Cook until golden brown on all sides, about 7 minutes. Remove the meatballs from the pot and any excess grease when finished.
Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil to the pot and heat on medium-high. Add the rest of the chopped onion and sweat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes longer. Next, add the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add in tomato paste and stir with a spoon until it dissolves into the liquid. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover the soup and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Take the cabbage, remove the core, and cut into thin slices. Add the cabbage and the meatballs back to the pot, cover, and cook over medium-low temperature for about 20 minutes.