Lil' Tamale Pies Recipe
This Tex-Mex quick pick-me-up is perfect for nights when you’re hungry for flavor — and fast. Plus, it’ll make your kitchen smell like you’ve been cooking for ages.
From Southern Casseroles, by Denise Gee.
- 1/2 Cup shredded cheddar mix
- 1 8 1/2 packet of corn muffin mix
- 1/2 Cup pitted sliced green or black olives
- 1 1 1/4 ounce packet of sodium-reduced taco seasoning
- 1 Pound ground bulk pork sausage
- 1 10 ounce can of diced mexican-style or regular tomatoes, with their juice
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
In a large skillet, brown the sausage; remove it to a colander to drain while reserving 2 tablespoons drip- pings. Add the tomatoes with their juices, olives, and taco seasoning to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Return the cooked, drained pork to the skillet and stir to combine. Adjust the seasoning as desired.
Prepare the corn muffin mix according to the package directions.
Divide the spiced pork mixture between four 12- to 16-ounce or 1½- to 2-cup casserole dishes. Top each with equal amounts of muffin mix; sprinkle with equal amounts of the cheese.
Bake the casseroles on a rimmed baking sheet for 15 minutes, or until the topping is light golden and cooked through. Garnish, if desired, before serving.