Swap out the lemon cake mix for white cake mix, if desired.
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist lemon cake mix
- Water, as called for on box mix
- Oil, as called for on box mix
- Eggs, as called for on box mix
- 1 Cup butter, softened
- 6 Cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-4 Tablespoons milk
- Yellow coarse decorating sugar
- 24 Peeps sweet lemonade flavored marshmallow chicks
- 24 straws
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 cupcake pans with paper baking cups. Make the cake as directed on the box. Cool completely on a cooling rack, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make lemon buttercream by beating the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons of the lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of the milk. Beat until smooth, adding more lemon juice and milk as necessary to reach a smooth, spreadable consistency.
Spoon the buttercream into a decorating bag fitted with large open star tip. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. Top each cupcake with coarse decorating sugar and a PEEPS® chick. Cut about 4 inches off bottom of each straw; discard. Poke a straw into each cupcake.