- 2 Cups dry white beans, such as cannellini
- 6 Cups water
- 1 sprig sage
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 Cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch cavolo nero, chopped
- 1 3/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Cup freshly grated parmesan
In a Dutch oven, combine the white beans, water, sage, garlic cloves, and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium low so it simmers gently. Partially cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 1 hour and 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The beans should be just tender when cooked.
Add the kale, salt, and red pepper flakes to the beans and stir to combine. Cover the pan and simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until the kale is wilted and tender. Stir in the remaining olive oil and cheese to finish.