Here's a delicious, one-pot meal that's vegetarian and doesn't require a whole lot in the way of ingredients. Just 10 easy-to-find ingredients and a casserole dish are all that's needed to get dinner on the table in a flash. Serve this with rice or a bulgur pilaf.
See all eggplant recipes.
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 3 -4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium-sized globe eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
- 3 -4 tomatoes, chopped
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes or cayenne
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
Layer the onion, garlic, eggplant, bell pepper, and tomatoes in a 2-quart casserole baking dish. Season with the salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Coat everything with the olive oil and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Stir in the chickpeas and bake, covered, for 45 more minutes.