Tanzanian Avocado Salad
In Tanzania, some people serve this salad for breakfast. Cucumber and avocados can be served alongside smoked fish or shellfish, but people from the coast of Tanzania would add a salted fish, such as salted cod.
This recipe is also in Taste of Tanzania: Modern Swahili Recipes for the West, cookbook
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup or 1 small, thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/4 Teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1/2 Cup or 1 small, thinly sliced tomato (cut in half, remove seeds, then cut into thin slices)
- 1/4 Cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 Tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 Cup or 1 small grated carrot
- 3 medium avocados
In a big bowl, mix all ingredients except avocado. Cover and set aside to chill for 30 minutes. Peel and cube avocadoes and add them to the other ingredients only when you are about to serve, so that they will not turn brown.