- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 7 Cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 Granny Smith apples - 1 peeled, cored and chopped, the other cored and diced small for garnish with lemon juice.
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Cups apple juice, preferably Juicy Juice 100% Juice brand
- 4 Cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1/4 Cup sour cream, for serving
Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add butternut squash and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add peeled, chopped apple (reserving small-diced apple), salt, pepper, ginger, curry powder, coriander, cayenne pepper (if using), apple juice and 3 1/2 cups broth. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until squash and apples are very soft.
Using an immersion blender, purée soup in pot until very smooth, thinning with remaining 1/2 cup broth, if desired. Or, carefully ladle soup into a traditional blender, and blend in batches until all soup is blended, thinning as desired. Return to medium-low heat. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired.
Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and diced apples.