Quinoa Vegetable Salad
Perfect for an outdoor picnic or a light lunch, this quinoa vegetable salad tosses together bright and fresh flavors such as ginger, lime juice, and cilantro to create a refreshing summer recipe that we’ll be making over and over again.
* The author uses a low-sodium, gluten-free soy sauce called San-J Tamari Lite.
- 1/4 Cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided for use
- 1/3 Cup diced red onion
- 1 Cup pre-rinsed quinoa
- 2 Tablespoons finely grated ginger, divided for use
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, deveined, and diced
- 1 Pound fresh snap peas, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 Cup quartered button mushrooms
- 1/4 Cup cilantro leaves
- 1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce*
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Add 1 ½ - 2 cups water and 1 tablespoon of the ginger and bring to a boil. Cover the pan, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Let cool completely.
Put the quinoa in a serving bowl and add the bell pepper, peas, mushrooms, and cilantro leaves. Whisk together the remaining ¼ cup olive oil with the remaining tablespoon ginger, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, lime juice, and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and quinoa, stir to coat, and serve.