This pumpkin lassi is perfect for the transition into fall when it is still quite warm out. You get your pumpkin fix in a refreshing cold beverage.
I love the heat here in Las Vegas, so much so that some friends call me a desert tortoise and say they wouldn’t be surprised to find me sunning myself on a rock one day. However, come September and October I am ready to move past the sweltering 90°F plus days and start making cool weather meals.
I see countless posts on the chilly weather from other friends around the country, talking about wearing jeans, vests and boots, or as some call it “Han Solo” season and bloggers are already weeks into fall recipes on their blogs including everything pumpkin.
I try to resist the make all the things pumpkin every fall, but it is hard to stay away forever. But when it is 90 out, the last thing you want to eat is a hot pumpkin recipe. So I came up with the idea of combining the popular fall flavor with a cool and refreshing summer drink, the lassi. Or in this case - the pumpkin lassi.
This pumpkin lassi is a spin off my mango lassi I made a couple years ago, but with the addition of pumpkin and fall spices, ginger and cinnamon. Traditional lassis are a thinner yogurt drink so Greek yogurt or any thicker strained style yogurt isn’t used.
Often times, lassis are served over ice. These are a relatively healthy drink, sweetened with dates (or honey or maple syrup instead), protein from the yogurt, fiber from the pumpkin - so you can sip with very little guilt. Then balance it out with pumpkin pie later. Topped with lots of whipped cream of course. Because life is all about balance - healthy meal followed by dessert!!
- 1 cup pumpkin, not pie filling
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt, or vanilla yogurt, do not use greek yogurt, you want a thinner style
- 3-4 medjool dates, seeds removed, or 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon green cardamom, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons roasted pumpkin seeds
- Add all ingredients except garnish to blender and mix well.
- Pour into glasses and top with a sprinkle of ground cardamom and pumpkin seeds.
- Serve immediately. Can be served over ice if a colder drink is desired.
Vitamix 5200 Blender
Vitamix 750 Blender
Hamilton Beach Blender