Pioneer Courthouse Square
- Inaugurated in 1984, the Square was recognized by Time Magazine as 1 of the "10 most notable design achievements" in the US. Known as Portland's 'living room', more than 26,000 people pass by each day
- The Portland Hotel stood on the site from 1891 to 1951. It had 326 rooms, bars, a restaurant, etc., and faced the courthouse. When it was demolished to make way for a 2-level parking lot.
- Leave the car at home and take the MAX in to enjoy a sunny day and a cheesesteak
- When you see "famous" local newspeople emerge from the KGW Studio on the Square to film, but pretend not to notice, you are a true Portlander.
- Sit above the waterfalls, you won't get in trouble unless you're drunk. In which case don't sit above the waterfalls.
- The people watching here is greatly amazing and interesting.
- Tree lighting ceremony day aft thanksgiving @ dusk :) it's beautiful
- Seems like that guy with the umbrella never moves...
- Beautiful Square. They have a great variety of events throughout the year, and it is a great place to hang out for a bit. Stand in the center of the mini-ampitheatre and talk, then stop by Starbucks.
- Stand in the echo chamber and recite Shakespeare on one foot.
- "Portland's Living Room" is located in the heart of downtown and hosts 300+ events throughout the year. Nearby you can find world-class shopping and tasty food carts.
- See Portland's flag flying from a pole near the Starbucks in the NW corner of the plaza.
- Get pics of Sand in the City during mid-July. Over 350 sand sculptors! Proceeds go to Kids on the Block Awareness Program.
- Good place to chill and people watch.
- The northwest corner isn't only for chess geeks, all us physics and archetecture nerds will love the acousics in the center of the mini ampetheater there!
- enjoy a sunny day sitting on the steps people-watching
- Le cur de Portland ! La place vie au rythme des vnements & manifestations. Et chaque t, un cinma en plein air est organis. Profitez aussi pour admirez les magnifiques btiments autour
- Try searching Abraham Lincoln name brick. It took me a year to find it.
- Stand directly in the middle of the mini amphitheater between the Starbucks and the eastbound MAX station and say a few words.
- Fellow vegans looking for a quick snack - the veggie hotdog at Jean's Hotdogs stand is vegan too :)