It's no secret that I adore dessert. So, that first week of my sugar cleanse was torture! I went cold-turkey as in NO dessert whatsoever and I experienced sugar withdrawal. No lie. So, I decided to come up with a few sugar-free "treats" to trick my mind and taste buds.
And the first ones that came out of my kitchen that not only tricked my mind and taste buds, but my daughter's as well, were these no-bake orange cardamom bites.
When I was younger and I happened on one of those pods in one of my mom's savory curries or rice dishes, I would be lying if I said I wasn't totally appalled as those pods were not appealing to my young taste buds. Now, however, I adore cardamom (almost as much as I adore desserts) whether it's in a savory or sweet dish.
And, I was surprised to learn that cardamom isn't just known for its pretty smell. In fact, cardamom, one of the most expensive spices here, is a powerful anti-inflammatory, an antispasmodic, an anti-coagulant, a blood pressure regular, a breath refresher and immunity booster! It also comes with a fair share of fiber and vitamin C! All in such a small pod!
Combined with orange zest in these gluten free, dairy free bites, cardamom packs a mighty flavor punch, distracting from the fact that these treats are free of any refined sugar! If you happen to be watching your sugar intake or just want a fuss free, healthier, no bake bite to enjoy during the 2 pm afternoon slump or even a quick breakfast, then mix yourself up a batch of these and enjoy!
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon zero calorie sweetener
- Place the almond butter, coconut flour, coconut milk, vanilla, sweetener, cardamom and coconut oil in a bowl and mix well.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest and mix.
- Form into balls, top with orange zest and enjoy!
- Burger King Has Chicken Tenders for the First Time Ever
- What PDA Is OK Today — and What Isn’t
- Why You Should Never Sleep in on the Weekends
- The 25 Most Popular Halloween Candies in America
- 260-Layer Cake Breaks Guinness World Record