Save the dishes for another meal. Cozy up and make this One Pot Italian Sausage Skillet for dinner tonight!
I first shared my recipe for Italian Sausage Bake back in 2013. It is one of my most popular recipes on Katie’s Cucina to date. I love making this recipe; however, the 2-hour cook time is pure torture.
I’ve been working on a one pot Italian Sausage Bake recipe that is cooked on the stovetop and isn’t really baked. The flavors come out to be almost identical; however, the sausage and potatoes aren’t as crisp as they would be if they baked in the oven for 2 hours.
So if you need crisp sausage and potatoes, then I would skip this quicker version. But if you are game for trying a quicker version, then you’ll love my One Pot Italian Sausage Skillet recipe. It’s especially perfect for weeknights.
I also tested this recipe with both fresh potatoes and frozen southern style potatoes. The flavors come out identical. The only difference is by using the frozen potatoes you reduce the cooking time by 10 minutes (which is the way I wrote the recipe below).
I’ve recently found that frozen potatoes are becoming a new staple in my freezer repertoire. Perfect for quick side dishes for dinner or breakfast potatoes for brunch! They’re incredibly versatile, and quickly replacing rice as our favorite starch to add to meals. Plus, I love how they’ll take on any spice profile you want to throw at them – like Italian seasoning in this case. It’s SO good!
If you’re looking for a warm comforting meal in about 40 minutes’ time, this is the recipe for you. Perfect for crazy cold nights out where you just want to warm up! Serve with a salad and of course you can’t forget dessert; Tiramisu!
- 5 mild italian sausage links
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 multi-colored bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 32 ounce bag frozen southern-style potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley, for topping
- grated cheese, for topping
- In a large skillet, preheat the olive oil on medium-high heat. Using kitchen shears begin to cut the sausage links in 1-inch pieces. Cook with lid on for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While sausage cooks chop peppers and onions, and set to the side. Once sausage has cooked for 10 minutes and is brown add in the peppers and onions.
- Give one good stir then add in the frozen potatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Place lid on skillet and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on, stir once.
- Remove lid stir very well (and break up any clumps of frozen potatoes with a wooden spoon). Add the grape tomatoes, stir well and place the lid back on the skillet for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in fresh spinach and Parmesan cheese. Divide evenly among plates, and garnish with fresh parsley and additional Parmesan cheese. Enjoy immediately.
- This recipe also works with fresh potatoes. You will need to add the potatoes in and cook for 10 minutes prior to adding in the peppers and onions. ((photographed with fresh potatoes but tested both ways).
KitchenIQ V-etched Container Grater
Le Creuset Skillet
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet
Wusthof Santoku Knife - 5 inch