hospital

Suwin / Shutterstock

Man on Life Support After Choking at a New Year’s Eve Party

A New Year’s Eve celebration took a turn for the worst
hospital

Suwin / Shutterstock

Doctors found a piece of meat lodged deep into the man’s chest.

New Year’s Eve celebrations were cut short at a holiday party in Omaha, Nebraska when Brian O’Neill was rushed to Nebraska Medicine after choking on a piece of meat minutes before midnight.

After failed attempts to dislodge the piece of meat using the Heimlich maneuver, a doctor at the O’Neill’s annual New Year’s celebration performed an emergency tracheotomy with a knife, KETV reported.

The emergency tracheotomy did not exacerbate his condition, doctors told the family.  

O’Neill is currently on life support. His brother-in-law, Paul Miller, said he is “a great family guy with two twin boys.”

Hundreds of friends and family gathered on Monday night to pray for O’Neill during a rosary service at a local church.

Related Stories
5 Things You Should Never Do on New Year’s EveNYC Gets Dinner and Dancing Started Early on New Year’s Eve5 Things This Nutritionist Does Before Going to a New Year’s Eve Party

"You should never leave home without telling everyone you love them,” Mike O'Neill, Brian’s brother, told KETV, “because you never know when something like this is going to happen and if that will be the last time you talk to them. We need your prayers."