This Is the World’s Largest Pumpkin
The former world record for the biggest pumpkin (2,323 pounds), set just last year, has been broken by Belgian Mathias Willemijns, whose 1,190.5-kilogram (2,623 pounds) pumpkin took the top prize at the Giant Pumpkin European Championship held in Ludwigsburg, Germany.
Gene McMullen, grower of the world’s second-largest pumpkin under the former world record, said patience and care were the secret to growing insanely large pumpkins, the International Business Times reported. It took McMullen 93 days to grow his 2,145-pound pumpkin. Feeding and watering the pumpkin, keeping it at an ideal temperature, and keeping the skin from getting dry are key.
“Number one is genetics, number two is genetics, number three is genetics,” said George Hamilton, an extension field specialist in fruits and vegetables from the University of New Hampshire. “And then number four you’ve got sun, warmth, fertilizer and water.”
- Alton Brown Cooking His Steak With Mayonnaise Is Actually a Genius Hack
- Taste Test: Chick-fil-A vs. Sam’s Club Copycat Nuggets
- These Are the 40 Things Every Woman Over 40 Should Know About Her Health
- Kylie Jenner Just Had Cereal With Milk for the First Time
- Denny's New Mobile Relief Diner Is on Its Way to the Carolinas