The deadly bacterial outbreak in Sacramento, California, has worsened. Last week, we reported that a woman had been hospitalized due to a severe botulism infection contracted from eating gas station nacho cheese. Now, the same outbreak has left one man dead and nine others still hospitalized in critical condition.
Martin Galindo-Larios Jr., 37, died after fighting for his life for several weeksin a hospital bed after contracting the rare bacterial infection. A fundraising page that had been set up to raise money for his recovery indicates that he was a husband and father of two children, according to the Los Angeles Times.
The California Department of Public Health confirmed that the contaminated cheese and container was removed from the premises at the Valley Oak Food and Fuel in Walnut Grove and that the outbreak posed no further risk.
The toxins in the botulism bacteria attack the nervous system and cause symptoms such as blurry vision, slurred speech, paralysis, and difficulty breathing. The disease is extremely rare and only is seen in about 20 people annually, according to NPR.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture warns that botulism is often caused by home-cooked food, and extra care should be taken to ensure food safety: Food should be stored between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and canned food should be eaten within one year of canning, especially oils infused with garlic, chili sauces, and canned cheeses.
Botulism is a significant danger, but it is not the only deadly form of food poisoning out there. These are the worst food poisoning outbreaks in history.