When it comes to menu fails at “ethnic” restaurants, we’ve all been there: You open up the menu, start scanning it to figure out what you want to eat, and suddenly you come across a translation that isn’t just wrong, it’s hilariously wrong.
For example, when a dish is called “Sweet Fume (sauce) Cannot” and it actually looks like duck. Or, when another dish is called “Human Skin” and we just hope that it’s just a typo.
Spotting these kinds of mistakes at restaurants whose cuisine doesn’t come from countries where English isn’t the native language has almost become a full-time Internet sport. There’s even a cottage industry of Photoshopped fake menu mistakes.
We get it, some words and dishes get lost in translation — it’s inevitable — and we’re sure there have been a fair share of words from other cultures that Americans have misunderstood and misappropriated. But some translations are just too flat-out hilariously wrong. They have to be made fun of.
So whether they’re real or created through the magic of Photoshop, check out these 10 hilarious menu mistranslations. They’re guaranteed to make you laugh.
1. When Google ends up providing you a disservice at a Chinese restaurant.
2. No, just no.
3. Sounds quite annoying, I’ll pass.
Great menu typo pic.twitter.com/alrAYRfG1T
— Suzanna Hermans (@oblongirl) July 2, 2013
4. Yum, I always knew that Wikipedia tasted delicious.
5. Hmm, we’re very confused by this pizza, too.
6. What is this that we’re eating?
7. The sweet fumes just cannot deal with this anymore. They just can’t.
8. Oh boy, that sounds quite terrifying.
9. That should never happen at all. Nope.
10. The witch from Hansel and Gretel must be the executive chef at this restaurant.