Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
Landmark, Outdoor Sculpture, National Park
- President Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden linked arms and sang "We Shall Overcome" during the dedication ceremony.
- King is the FIRST African-American honored with a memorial on or near the National Mall in DC! See great examples of African-Americans' contributions to us all: http://bet.us/BHM
- Look up. This champion of justice stands 30 feet tall. Darkness cannot drive out darkness, Dr. King wrote in 1963, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
- Visit the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial and help bring his vision to life: With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope.
- In 1964, TIME named Martin Luther King, Jr. its "Man of the Year," dubbing him "America's Ghandi."
- Unveiled 8/22/2011. Memorial entered through Mountain of Despair with center cut out. Around centerpiece is 450' crescent-shaped Inscription Wall with text from 14 speeches.More site history via<LINK>
- Just heard a dad tell his daughter that this is the monument for the greatest man that ever lived. She asked if he was president and he replied, "No, he wasn't president but he was a great man"
- Notice how Dr. King faces President Jefferson, as if the two great men are having an eternal conversation.
- God bless the National Parks Service for taking good care of the memorials and providing tidy restrooms.
- One word for my time here today "History"
- It's very much worth the visit.
- NAACP Pres. Ben Jealous (@BenJealous) will be speaking Aug. 27 & 28 at the Memorial unveil...we'll be sharing our thoughts on Twitter during the historic weekend at @NAACP @NAACPConnect & #DedicateMLK
- Check out the Stone of Hope. It's a 30 foot statue of Dr. King looking out into the horizon.
- I was there for the dedication ceremony and that was very special. Visited again and the feeling of looking at this larger than life statue is truly a sight to behold. Everyone should visit.
- MLK Jr. is a boss. A great testament to everything he worked for.
- Note that this is the only monument on the national mall for a non-elected official.
- See the monument at night! Spectacular!
- First Time Here! 2 African American Men Changed the Course of History. Barack & Martin! #2013 #DC #Love #Equality
- This is the monument to see !!