Lafayette Coney Island
Hot Dogs, American, Greek
118 W Lafayette Blvd (at Michigan Ave)
Detroit, MI 48226
Lists & rankings
- American or Lafayette? This is 1 of the 2 most popular Coney Dog spots in Detroit. As seen on Man v Food.
- Find the worker named Faisal (aka: Chris) and ask to see the magic tricks while your waiting for your coneys at 1 am
- Never go next door to American, it's dogshit
- Lafayette or American? It's open 23 hours/day. Coney Island restaurants originated in Detroit and Lafayette has been in business since the early 1920's.
- Synonymous with the coney dog itself, this is the real deal for the illustrious dog. Open 24-7 and remember to get it with everything. Or minus the onions if this is date night.
- Bring cash, they don't take credit cards
- Steamy, dreamy, Detroit style chili hot dogs; gimme two up and a chili-cheese fry. Hallelujah, holla back.
- best coney ever
- Rather than pass our judgement on the debate of the location of the first coney dog, we will just say that we really like Lafayette's spinach pie. Their chili is also a marvel. [Eater 38 Member]
- Use the bathroom. You won't regret it.
- Never go to American Coney
- Perfect quick late night bite. The chili is a little "looser" than their rivals next door." The coneys have a nice snap to them and go great with some delicious chili-cheese fries. I choose Lafayette!
- Michigan State Law requires you stop here if you're in Detroit.
- I'm the mayor, bitches!
- I preferred this dog to the one next door; the chili had better flavor, snappier frank, and the overall experience was a lot less sloppy. Try both for yourself.
- Try the Coney Island Hot Dog - Coney island hot dog winner! Hella onions and Chilli and you can taste it!
- Really cool people, pretty good food. Chili Cheese Fries w/ Heavy Chili, a coney with no onions and 2 bags of chips for 7$. That's a steal
- Stool and counter seating. Open late. Serves cans of beer. Cash only. A before or after a ball game must. Coney everything heavy with fries.
- "Lafayette or American?" Say the secret phrase to AAJA's executive director, Kathy Chow, and win a prize!
- You're not home w/o a check-in at Lafayette!