"Send a salami to your boy in the army!" This Jewish kosher deli has been making converts with its salami — and pastrami and hot dogs and more since 1888. You go in, get a taste at the counter from one of the expert slicers like Eddie, and marvel at how great it is that a place like this exists. Then you dive into pickles and a huge pastrami sandwich with mustard and a big pricetag. It's worth it — it really is one of the only deli sandwiches a person needs in life. And the pastrami and eggs "made like the boss likes it," with eggs cooked on the hot dog grill to get that greasiness? Not many things better for breakfast. Just don't lose your ticket. You don't want to know what happens. — Arthur Bovino, 2/17/2011
8:00am - 10:45pm
8:00am - 10:45pm
8:00am - 10:45pm
8:00am - 2:45am
8:00am - 12:00am
12:00am - 10:45pm
Lists & rankings
- #2 on 101 Best Casual Restaurants in America 2019
- #1 on 101 Best Casual Restaurants in America 2018
- #1 on 101 Best Casual Restaurants in America 2017
- #1 on 101 Best Casual Restaurants in America 2016
- #1 on America's Best Hotdogs 2015
- #2 on America's Best Hotdogs 2015
- #2 on 101 Best Casual Restaurants in America 2015
- #1 on 101 Best Casual Restaurants in America 2014
- #27 on 101 Best Restaurants in America 2012
- #14 on 101 Best Restaurants in America 2011
- Pastrami On Rye With Brown Mustard: A thing of unparalleled beauty. Anthony Bourdain, No Reservations
- While the Pastrami is the superstar here, their Frankfurter is one of the best in the city. Order them at the counter near the entrance.
- As seen on Travel Channels Food Paradise: Manliest Restaurants 2, Katz's is the Mecca of pastrami & Mecca of sandwiches. What to order? Corned beef and pastrami.
- simply the best pastrami sandwich on the planet, pair it with a dr browns cel ray soda and see god
- Try the pastrami or the hot dogs. Katz's is a landmark eatery that's been serving up delicious meats since 1888.
- On Food Network's The Best Thing I Ever Ate, Michael Psilakis goes crazy for the daring Knoblewurst Sandwich made with garlic beef sausage at Katz's Deli in New York, NY. Find more tips at FN Local.
- Unmatched pastrami, excellent egg creams, great hot dogs and sausage. A New York legend.
- Possibly the most famous NYC food landmark, this Jewish deli excels in each dish, from snappy hot dogs to giant pastrami sandwiches. Hint: don't forget to tip your carver!
- A true New York original, absolutely order the incredible pastrami, but be warned about re-enacting Meg Ryan's famous performance from 'When Harry Met Sally' filmed here!
- I'll have what she's having. The famous scene of 1989's "When Harry Met Sally" took place here at Katz's. There's even a sign at the specific table where Billy Crystal and Megan Ryan sat
- You do not know NYC if you do not know Katz's.
- Order a matzo ball soup, pastrami on rye, and a Doc Browns cream soda. Think of what your mother would say if you don't finish.
- Order a Pastrami on Rye. DO NOT LOSE YOUR TICKET!
- Keep your eye on the pastrami, don't get distracted = )
- "Best. Pastrami. Ever." Helen, Setup Squad
- just get a pastrami sandwich with mustard and nothing else on it. trust me.
- Try the Pastrami Sandwich
- Nothing to eat if you don't like meat :-)
- if you come early enough in the morning, you'll have the place all to yourself