Have you ever bought an ingredient or two at the grocery store and knew that you wanted to make a soup with it? I do this often and this is how I create so many of my delicious soup recipes.
I knew I wanted to make a hearty fall soup with both Italian sausage and kale. By adding in a few fresh veggies, a can of diced tomatoes and beans from my pantry I had one delicious pot of soup. This Quick and Easy Sausage White Bean & Kale Soup is perfect for a crisp fall night.
This recipe for Quick and Easy Sausage White Bean & Kale Soup can be put together in a jiffy and makes for the perfect lunch the next day. You’ll start this recipe by browning the ground Italian sausage, breaking it up into bite size pieces. Next you’ll add in the onion, celery, carrots, and minced garlic. The staple soup base for just about any soup you make!
The key to using harder vegetables with a quick cooking time is chopping them in small bite-size pieces. The smaller the cut the quicker they will cook. I also like to “steam” the vegetables with the meat for a few minutes to help the quick cooking process and this yields a more tender vegetable to bite. I add in just about a cup of beef broth to the pot after the veggies have cooked with the sausage for a few minutes and then add in the kale.
The key to cooking with kale in soup is to cut into small pieces and remove all the hard stems. The stems are bitter and will not cook down quick enough. I cook also “steam” the kale and then add in the rest of the broth, seasonings, diced tomatoes and macaroni noodles.
I wanted a shortcut noodle for this soup and macaroni was the only noodle I had on hand. So don’t fret if you don’t have macaroni’s on hand. You could also use ditalini pasta if that’s what you have on hand. If you have a gluten allergy — you can omit the pasta or use gluten free pasta. Totally up to you!
During the last five minutes, while the soup simmers you’ll add the beans to the soup. I like to add them last since they are already cooked and generally soft and just need to be warmed through.
I like to top each bowl of soup with a generous grating of Parmesan cheese. It’s a staple cheese in my home and should be in your home too! If your looking for a hearty fall soup, and an easy dinner recipe for Kale, White Bean and Sausage Soup is a winner in my home and will be in your home too! Don’t forget to serve it with crusty pizza bread.
- 1 pound mild ground italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups kale, shredded
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups beef broth, divided
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- In a large stockpot, cook the Italian sausage. Use a wooden spoon to break up the sausage into bite size pieces. Once the sausage is halfway browned (about 5 minutes on medium heat) add in the onion, celery, carrots, and minced garlic. Cook with lid on over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add in 1 cup of beef broth and the shredded kale. Mix well and cook with lid on for an additional 5 minutes. Then add in the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and the rest of the beef broth. Bring to a boil and add in the diced tomatoes and elbow macaroni. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the pasta is al dente add the rinsed and drained cannellini beans. Simmer for 5 additional minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- *Make sure to remove the stems from the kale and shred before adding to the soup pot.