Jockey's Ridge State Park
State / Provincial Park, Scenic Lookout, Beach
- Awesome place to watch the sun set over the Roanoke Sound on the Outer Banks
- So, just how much sand will you find here? About 30 million tons - enough to fill 6 million dump trucks! Enjoy your trek to the top. The view is a pretty amazing reward.
- Definitely go check out this state park. My friend and I ran up and down and all around the giant sand dune! It is an amazing place to visit when vacationing in the Outer Banks.
- People often kick off their shoes in a big pile at the S. Croatan Hwy crosswalk entrance across from Kitty Hawk Kites and retrieve them upon leaving the dunes.
- Go early in the morning or late afternoon, if it is a warm day. Great to watch the sunset from also.
- Climb to the top at sunset. There is not a more beautiful place than JRSP with the sun setting in the west and sound and ocean views on either side.
- Great spot to surf the sand dunes & watch numerous kite flyers. The sun set is an amazing.
- Was a top attraction for me as a kid, and now my children. Hike to the top with snacks and kites and enjoy the views. Kids will enjoy sliding down the steeper sand dune faces.
- It was so beautiful at the top. It rained last night making the climb much easier. Do not miss !
- Knee board down the dunes!!
- Run, jump and fly down the sand dunes.
- Up for adventure? Try Kitty Hawk Kites' Hang Gliding School here.
- Don't forget water, for you and your pets. :-)
- Dunes!!! Very cool and free!
- Come and take some hang gliding classes
- Amazing view of the peninsula and fun hiking on the dunes.
- Pretty views, good workout, be sure to bring a water, hang gliders
- Bring a water on your walk to the dunes!
- Such a unique park. Giant dunes and so sandy! Worth the stop and it's free to walk around.
- Always a classic. Feels like you're in the middle of the desert once you pass the first dune. See the ocean and sound at the same time.