How to Peel Garlic
Whether it’s sizzling in a stir fry or simmering in pasta sauce, garlic adds a distinct punch to almost any savory dish. However, before its flavor can be unleashed, garlic must be peeled. Here’s how it’s done quickly and efficiently.
1. Take a whole head of garlic, and start peeling off the outer skin from the top.
2. Once enough skin is removed, pry open the head of garlic.
3. Break off as many cloves of garlic as you need.
4. Carefully cut off the bottom of each garlic clove, removing as little garlic as possible.
5. Using the side of a knife or anything with a sturdy flat surface, firmly hit the clove 2-3 times. If you want to mince the garlic, you can smash it with more force to break up the clove and quicken mincing. If sliced garlic or other cuts are desired, hit the garlic gently but firmly to dislodge the skin.
6. Pinch the tip of the skin above the clove, and pull. It should slide off cleanly.