When I was younger, one staple meal my mother always made for us was a stir fry. It was easily adjustable to the tastes of everyone who was eating. We could make it gluten free, dairy free, or vegetarian so quickly and easily.
As I’ve grown my personal recipe library, I’ve kept some of the recipes that I grew up with, modifying them for my personal tastes and elevating them a little bit whenever possible. This gluten free stir fry is one of those recipes.
I use a bag of fresh stir fry vegetables for this recipe, and then I just add some fresh red peppers as well. This recipe is very customizable to the kind of vegetables that you personally like.
If there are vegetables you don’t like that are included in bagged stir fry veggies, go ahead and use your favorite vegetables instead. You can also use frozen stir fry veggies. Whatever is best for you.
This gluten free stir fry recipe really cooks so quickly.
Start cooking the chicken and vegetables, while you make the sauce.
And then pour the sauce on and wait just a few minutes for it to cook, and then it’s done.
20-minute meal, easy. What will you do with all your extra dinner prep time?
I like to use the rest of my evening making a dessert to enjoy after dinner, like some gluten free red velvet donuts. Or, if I get started on dessert before dinner? I’ll make my favorite gluten free devils food chocolate cake.
Miss E likes to help me cook this one. I let her help me mix up the sauce or measure the rice while I handle chopping veggies and cooking with heat. I love easy recipes like this that let me include my daughter, because I love seeing my love for food and cooking pass onto her.
For the Stir Fry Sauce:
- 1/4 cup tamari gluten free soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the Stir Fry:
- 1 pound chicken
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4-5 cups stir fry vegetables, of your choice, 12 oz bag of fresh stir fry veggies and 1/2 a red bell pepper cut into strips pictured
- cooked rice, to serve
- Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the oil in the heated pan and sear the chicken until golden brown, and cook until cooked through.
- Add the garlic and stir fry vegetables and sauté until the veggies are tender.
- Add the stir fry sauce and stir. Cook until it starts to simmer and thickens.
- Serve over rice.