I hope you’re obsessed with all things lemon like I am. I’ve been making all things lemon lately – from chicken piccata, lemonade (including a lemon simple syrup!), muffins, using them in marinades, etc. I have been swimming in lemon and I’ve been loving every minute of it.
Naturally, when you’re making allthelemon things, you’d think lemon poppyseed bread which is why this fabulous gluten free lemon poppyseed bread was born. Well, baked if you want to get literal.
This gluten free lemon poppy seed bread is full of lemon flavor. There’s a ton of fresh lemon juice and zest in the batter and then it’s topped off with the most fabulous lemon glaze.
I don’t often top my quick breads with glaze because it’s really just an option and I don’t always want that extra sugar for breakfast. You can totally for-go the glaze but if you’re looking for that something special, go for the glaze! Go big or go home right?
With the glaze, this bread would make a great afternoon snack or with tea if you’re into afternoon tea. You could also get away with serving this for dessert with some vanilla ice cream and call it a lemon pound cake without all the extra eggs and butter you would typically make a pound cake with. Oh versatile poppy seed bread, I love you so.
This version I’m sharing today is not only gluten free, it’s dairy free as well. If you do not need a dairy free version, just use regular milk in place of the coconut).
So not only is this a recipe that you can serve any time day or night, it’s pretty forgiving as far as ingredients go. I even cut back a bit on the oil in this recipe because I find that recipes with lots of lemon juice and/or zest get a tad bit greasy if you use the same amount you’re used to in other quick bread recipes.
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum, omit if your flour blend already contains it
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- lemon zest, from 1 lemon
- 1 cup coconut milk, from a carton
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- water, optional, to reach desired thickness
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, sift and whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk in the poppyseeds, sugar and lemon zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, vegetable oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until completely combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When the bread is done, cool in the pan for 10 minutes than remove it from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, stir together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract. If the glaze is too thick, stir in some water ¼ tsp at a time until it reaches your desired thickness. Pour the glaze over the top of the completely cooled bread and let it set, about 5-10 minutes before serving.
360 Bakeware Loaf Pan
USA Loaf Pans
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
Le Creuset Revolution Spatula