Fried Ham, Cheddar and Apple Panini
When fall comes around, you want to use apples in as many ways possible while they’re deliciously in season. This panini features a classic ham and cheddar combo, enhanced with the special addition of sweet apples. I used Honeycrisp apples in this version, but a more tart apple like a Granny Smith will work as well. When choosing a deli ham, look for varieties that aren’t sweetened with honey or maple.
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 15 min
6-8 slices of deli ham (add more if you want a heftier sandwich)
Cheddar cheese, sliced
½ apple, cored and thinly sliced
2 slices bread
½ tablespoon butter
1. Heat panini press to approximately 375˚F.
2. Melt butter in a frying pan.
3. Place ham slices in the pan when butter is melted. Cook until browned (about 4 minutes), flipping them over halfway through.
4. While the ham cooks, thinly slice your apple. The thin slices will release some of the apple’s juices to keep your panini from getting soggy.
5. Layer fried ham, cheddar and apple slices onto your bread. Top with other slice of bread.
6. Press the sandwich in the panini maker for 3-5 minutes, until bread starts to brown.