Many times appetizers are the best part of the party and it’s not unusual to plan a whole menu of appetizers when all of the kids are home on the weekends.
When I was growing up my family owned a catfish restaurant and my love of fried food continues. I will fry just about anything, but I’ve never made it to the state fair to try a deep fried Twinkie or Coca-Cola. I’m sure I’d be hooked for life. My Apple Pie Egg Rolls started some sort of obsession with things I could fry in an egg roll wrapper and I think the Fried Frito Pie might be my favorite so far.
Frito Chili Pie is usually the best thing you can get a high school concession stand and I can’t even tell you how many gallons of chili I’ve made for such events. This appetizer takes that classic comfort food to the next level of deliciousness.
I served these bite-sized Frito Chili Pies with some simple guacamole and a side of Fritos. The guys were literally eating these as fast as I could fry them. They have definitely earned a top spot among my favorite appetizers!
Next time you are hosting a party or having family game or movie night, you have to add these to the menu. It’s also a great way to stretch that last bit of chili to feed a crowd. Of course leftover chili is almost non-existent around my guys, but I was able to sneak a cup to make this deep fried appetizer!
One last note, don’t be afraid to deep fry! Use a heavy-bottom pan or cast iron skillet and you are set. Yes, it’s a little messy, but totally worth the crunchy delicious results!
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup chili
- 1 cup shredded cheese, like smoked cheddar-pepper jack
- 1/3 cup fritos, crushed
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- guacamole, and fritos for serving, optional
- Place about a teaspoon of chili (best if chilled) into the center of each wonton wrapper, top with a bit of cheese and a few Frito crumbs. Wet edges of wonton wrapper with water.
- Roll up as you would an egg roll or burrito. Place under a damp paper towel until ready to fry. I recommend rolling all of the pies before heating the oil.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet or heavy bottom pan to 350°F. Cook Frito Chili Pies a few at a time, rolling to brown on all sides about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Serve with guacamole and Fritos.