Fort Pulaski (Fort Pulaski National Monument)
History Museum, National Park
N32° 01.680 W080° 53.525
Savannah, GA 31410
- Fort Pulaski became a national monument in 1924. Read all about Georgia's historic forts in A HISTORY OF GEORGIA FORTS.
- Built in the 1830s and 1840s on Cockspur Island, this masonry fort was designed to defend Savannah.
- Worth the $3. If you ask the rangers to unlock the peephole door for pictures - they will. Skip the lighthouse walk - you can see it from the road.
- Great trails around the fort, perfect for a bike ride :)
- Don't skip the lighthouse walk! It was fun and beautiful and you get to see lots of little crabs! :)
- go on Saturday to see a Canon and musket firing!
- Check the moat for "Willie" the gator.
- Great place to get in a run, bring your running shoes!
- Nice place for sight seeing. Be sure to play around in the tunnels after touring the fort.
- Free Senior Pass (62+) lifetime! Includes all passengers in your car! Trails were difficult to ride w our beach bikes. Had to stick w paved roadways. Saw deer, birds galore... Great casual biking!
- Did you know? After the fall of Fort Pulaski in 1862, the island became an important point on the Underground Railroad. Hundreds of escaped slaves traveled to the fort and gained their freedom.
- Great historical site
- Excellently preserved piece of American history!
- Beautiful site! Knowledgeable rangers and volunteers!
- We loved this tour. It was very hot so I would recommend going not during summer. The tour we did was a little long but the cannon shots were really awesome!
- Underrated gem here. Take a walk on the trail out near the lighthouse for great views and interesting terrain
- Learning about the history
- This place is awesome! So much history!!
- Beautiful attraction. Make sure to walk around the top of the Fort.
- Super interesting place and a lot of history here. Always good to visit a piece of history instead of just reading it.