At least 80 people who ate at Mariscos San Juan, a seafood restaurant in San Jose, California, have fallen sick from shigella, an intestinal disease caused by bacteria of the same name.
At least 12 people have been placed into intensive care, and public health officials say that an additional 100 people could become infected over the next few days, according to the San Jose Mercury News.
Shigella can be passed through direct contact with the bacteria in stool, and the main sign of infection, according to the Mayo Clinic, is diarrhea, which is often bloody. Symptoms can take up to a week to appear, but usually show up within a few days of infection.
During a press conference, San Jose’s public health director, Sara Cody, described the bacteria as “very, very infectious.” Mariscos San Juan, which appears to be the source of the infection, was shut down by health authorities on Sunday, October 18. The restaurant is expected to remain closed “until the safety of the public can be assured.”