Easy Lentil Chili
This simple vegetarian chili recipe uses lentils instead of beans. Brown lentils work best as they will hold their shape even when tender after cooking. Serve over brown rice or with whole-grain hearth bread.
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 Cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 Teaspoons salt-free chili powder
- 2 1/4 Cups brown lentils
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables brown and begin to stick to the bottom of the pot, about 6 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons of broth and continue to cook, stirring, until onion is soft and lightly browned. Stir in garlic and chili powder and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add lentils, tomatoes and remaining broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until lentils are almost tender. Uncover and cook 10 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro and serve.