A 16-year-old in Greenbrier, Tennessee, was found unresponsive in his bed on Thursday, January 21, after he and a friend spent the night before drinking a combination of Mountain Dew and racing fuel.
The young man, Logan Stephenson, reportedly went into a seizure as a result of drinking the deadly beverage, and his skin changed noticeably in color. Stephenson was dead by morning when his family called for medical attention.
That news, reported by various local media outlets in Tennessee, was then followed by news of a second medical emergency involving Stephenson’s best friend, an unnamed boy who also began seizing. The second victim died Monday, January 25, though his death was not confirmed until the following day.
Local police are waiting on a report from the medical examiner to determine the exact cause of death. Since Stephenson’s passing, another two teenagers have come forward to admit that they had consumed a similar substance, and were taken to receive emergency treatment. Both were later released.