Each November in our home there is a whirlwind of birthday party festivities. Two of my three lovely daughters have birthdays in November that are only a mere two weeks apart. There are class parties for each, the actual day of each of their births, and smack in the middle there’s a big party to properly celebrate each of their birthdays with their friends.
Just a few days after their birthday excitement has started to die down, another birthday is upon us. Our yellow lab, Murphy, turns 3 this year! Not to be forgotten, we always like to celebrate his birthday in style as well, and what better way to do that than to celebrate with “pup-cakes!”
If your dog is anything like mine, they are going to go crazy for this Apple Cheddar Dog Cupcake recipe.
These ‘pup-cakes” are a delightful treat for your pooch whether you’re celebrating a momentous occasion or you just want to do something special for your four-legged friend. A double dose of apples from both applesauce and grated apples mean these are naturally sweetened and ultra-moist. And these dog cupcakes are filled with one of the birthday boy’s very favorite things, cheese!
Cheddar cheese pairs beautifully with apples so it seemed like a natural choice to add a little something special. Truth be told, these “pup-cakes” are tasty enough for anyone to try which means you could even celebrate as a family if you really wanted to.
No matter if you’re celebrating a birthday or that your dog was well behaved at the vet, these apple cheddar dog cupcakes are going to be gobbled up in no time by your happy hound!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick baking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a second bowl, whisk together applesauce, vegetable oil, honey and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until evenly moistened. Gently fold in the apple and cheddar cheese.
- Evenly divide the batter between the cups of the prepared muffin tin. They should be almost full. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from muffin tin and cool on a wire rack.
KitchenIQ V-etched Container Grater
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
Le Creuset Revolution Spatula