Ciao bellas – here is a recipe that will make you feel like a master chef on a Roman holiday. Gnocchi is an Italian pasta that is similar to a potato dumpling – its light, fluffy and can take on a variety of flavors from herbal to cheesy. Unlike many homemade pastas requiring time and technique, gnocchi is easy to make. It’s a simple way to create a sexy, sophisticated dish right in the comfort of your own home. So scratch that easy mac and start cooking like a chef – you won’t regret it.
Here is a variation of a gnocchi recipe using sweet potatoes for more flavor and nutrition – This recipe is so simple it only calls for three main ingredients:
Prep Time: 1 hour (depending on how you cook your sweet potatoes!)
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
2 Sweet Potatoes
1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
Salt and pepper can be added to taste. Also make use of your favorite herbs for a bolder flavor
1. Bake the potatoes for 1 hour at 400°F, or use any other method from boiling to microwaving to soften and mash the potatoes.
2. In a medium size bowl combine the mashed potatoes with the egg and the flour. Mix until dough is formed.
3. Shape the gnocchi into little pillowy shapes, about the size of your thumb. Use a fork to give the gnocchi a slight indentation. This will help them cook better.
4. Once gnocchi are shaped, cook them in boiling water just as you would cook pasta – but in this case you’ll know they’re done when they float to the top
5. Optional: Sauté for crispiness
6. Serve with your favorite pasta sauce and freshly grated cheese, pair with an Italian red wine such as a Pinot Noir
Heres one way to plate your homemade gnocchi and eat your vegetables too – blanch some greens such as kale, broccoli and peas; make them taste better by lightly drizzling with a brown butter sauce.
Because when in Rome Ithaca, am I right?