Dish with Diane — a series all about getting healthy and delicious foods right from world-class chefs themselves, brings you this special salad. Loaded with creamy goat cheese and fresh peas, you won't need another salad all summer long!
- 12 large chowder clams, well-scrubbed
- 8 Ounces smoked eel, skin and bone removed and reserved, meat cut into one-inch strips
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small bunch mustard greens, stems removed and reserved
- 1 small leek, cut into medium dice and well rinsed, grinds and white portion separated
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 4 slices very thin French bread, cut on an extreme bias and toasted
- 1 Tablespoon chives, minced
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and blended with chives
Begin by placing the clams, leek greens , mustard green stems, thyme, and eel skin and bone in a pot with 12 ounces of water. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook slowly until clams just open; note that you need to check frequently as clams begin to open, and remove immediately into a bowl to cool.
Once clams are opened, strain broth though a fine meshed sieve, remove cooked clams from shell, and mince, straining any accumulated juice into broth
In a large sauce pot, begin sweating garlic and canola oil on medium heat, and after one minute add white leek dice; sweat an additional minute.
Add mustard green leaves, sweat an additional minute, and add broth. Bring to simmer until greens are just tender.
Add chopped clams and eel, bring back to simmer, and serve immediately with toasted French bread lightly smeared with chive butter.
Note: If you choose to add welk, scrub, cover with water, add thyme sprig, garlic, and a little salt, and simmer 25 minutes until just tender. Remove with a fork, slice, and add to ragout.