Day 10: Koulouria (Greek Butter Cookies)
Being from a Greek family, nothing says Christmas to me more that Koulouria baking in the oven. The buttery cookies are the perfect balance between sweet and savory. They are perfect as a late night treat or an early morning snack with a fresh cup of home-brewed coffee. And if you grew up like me, you know they are Santa’s favorite cookie.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: ~70 minutes
1 stick of butter
1 stick of margarine
¾ cup of sugar
1 egg white
2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of baking powder
At least 2 ¾ cups of flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Beat the butter, margarine and sugar together in an electric mixer.
- Add the egg and egg white and continue to mix until creamy.
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon and baking powder and continue to mix until well combined.
- At the 2.75 cups of flower and beat until the flour is fully integrated into the wet ingredients.
- Using a spoon, continue to add small amounts of flour, one at a time and stir. Continue to add flour until the dough becomes dry enough that you can touch it without the dough sticking to your hands.
- One you get the correct consistency, roll the dough into braided shapes and add the sesame seeds.
- Place on either a greased baking sheet or stone and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: These cookies are just as delicious in any shape! Spell out C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S or your name, make stars or candy canes.