Craters of the Moon National Monument
National Park, Preserve, Park
- Check out the caves!
- This Is A Must See!! All Formed From Lava!! Take The Hiking Trail Through The Caves!!
- Wildflowers in cinder gardens in late May to mid June
- If you're in Idaho, don't miss the opportunity to see this - it's incredible.
- Not actually like the moon. Best volcanic flows outside of the big island. You can't leave the paths but there are some great cinder cone climbs. Come for the lava, stay for the octogenarians.
- Try spelunking through all the caves
- A fun park, do the large hill and the Indian Tunnel cave. You can skip the other caves.
- Make sure you get a free cave pass on the way in just in case
- Great place to walk daughter and hubby got to see bats in one of the caves! Very cool!
- Took a class from Doug Owen..he is amazing
- Take the kids to the visitor center to get their Lunar Ranger books - good for a Lunar Ranger patch when completed.
- Kids love the nearest cave! Easy climb, not too scary, and a lot of fun!
- Bring a headlamp if you plan on exploring the caves- much easier than trying to carry a flashlight while trying to negotiate slippery rocks.
- Unbelievable landscape and definitely worth the detour of you're going from Idaho Falls (or Montana) towards Boise.