- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for buttering dish
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pressed
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- One 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 pound crab meat, picked over for shells
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously grease a 9-inch square baking dish with butter and set aside.
Place 4 tablespoons butter in a large sauté pan and melt over medium-low heat.
When butter is hot, add onion to the pan and cook until translucent and softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic to the pan and cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add flour to the pan and stir until it smells nutty, about 2-3 minutes. Then add the cream to the pan and stir until the sauce is thickened slightly, about 5-8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
Add ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese, artichokes, crab, and lemon juice to the cream mixture. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Pour the dip into the greased baking dish and top with the remaining mozzarella. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, and the dip is warmed through (about 20-25 minutes).