With that holiday food baby just behind us, we could all use a healthy treat that won’t, ahem, add to our waistline. Everyone enjoys cookies and pies, but this season, impress your friends and family with these coconut macaroons. I love macaroons all year round and these little treats are perfect for a snack or a post-dinner sweet. I snagged this recipe from Elana’s Pantry. It’s a recipe that I always follow and the macaroons turn out amazing.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: 20-25 minutes
Servings: 48 macaroons
6 egg whites
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup agave nectar (honey is a good alternative)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Mix the egg whites and salt together.
2. Next, pour in the agave/honey, vanilla and coconut shreds into the egg whites.
3. One tablespoon at a time, drop the mixture on a baking sheet with parchment paper, making sure to pour the mixture in the shape of a Hershey’s kiss to get a pretty-shaped macaroon after baking.
4. Bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
5. Enjoy! These tasty treats are gluten-free and come in at about 45 calories each, which is not bad considering a slice of apple pie with a scoop of ice cream on top is a whopping 546 calories. Eat smarter with these simple bundles of sweetness.
More food porn ahead:
The post Coconut Macaroons: A healthy, simple and sweet treat appeared first on Spoon University.