Clean Mac and Cheese
This mac and cheese is good for your heart, digestive system and changes up the flavor and texture of traditional mac. There’s only a few ingredients and they are all available on campus. It’s the lighter, more every-day-friendly version of your favorite comfort food. Spring break here you come.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: About 20 minutes
2 cups of 100% whole wheat pasta (available at Frogro)
¼ cup of Daiya cheddar cheese (available from the Gourmet Grocer under Commons)
¼ cup of Daiya mozzarella cheese ( available from the Gourmet Grocer under Commons)
2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk) (available from CVS, Gourmet Grocer, or Frogro)
1 dollop of 0% plain Greek yogurt (available from Gourmet Grocer and Frogro)
Pinch of salt
1 cup of spinach (steamed)
1 cup of cauliflower/broccoli (steamed)
1. Heat salted water in a large pot.
2. Once boiling, add pasta and cook until well done (whole wheat pasta is firmer so you might need to cook it longer).
3. Strain the pasta and set aside.
4. In a hot pan on a low flame, add the almond milk, cheese, a pinch of salt and Greek yogurt.
5. Stir to combine until it comes together, adding more milk if necessary.
6. Add pasta and optional veggies and stir to coat.
7. Spoon into a bowl and enjoy hot!
Note: You can use reduced-fat cheddar/mozzarella cheese instead of Daiya if desired