Obviously, I love to bake and always have, but this holiday baking season is a little more special because I have two extra cute, chubby hands helping me out in the kitchen.
I'm in the kitchen a lot - between testing recipes for My Baking Addiction and whipping up lunches and dinners, Elle has noticed that it's pretty much my favorite place in our home. She's become so curious and interested in the entire process - the girl can even crack an egg!
We're having a blast creating fun and meaningful memories - even if things tend to get a little messy while she's mixa-mixing. Santa has noticed and just might be bringing her a kitchen of her very own this year!
Last week Eric came home from the market with a couple of bags of holiday Hershey's Kisses. I'm a total sucker for the Peppermint Crunch Kisses, but the Dark Chocolate Mint Truffle variety really caught my eye and I thought they'd be the perfect topper for a festive, holiday kiss cookie.
They're chocolatey, chewy, and the fresh pop of mint makes them so perfect for the holiday season. But if you're not a fan of mint, you can easily swap in your favorite kiss flavor. I'm thinking Cookies 'n' Cream and Caramel would be pretty amazing too!
My little sous chef helped me every step of the way with these Chocolate Mint Kiss Cookies. From whisking the dry ingredients to placing the kisses into the center of each cookie - I'm telling you, the little babe was grinning ear to ear the entire time.
Whenever I bake cookies with Elle, I like her to feel as independent as she can throughout the process. Which usually means flour on the floor, butter in her hair and imperfect cookie shapes, but that's what it's all about.
One of her favorite cookie baking tasks is placing the balls of dough onto cookie sheets. However, this typically results in one giant glob of dough in the center of the pan and she's so not a fan of me redistributing them for her. Which is why we've become big fans of the Silpat® Perfect Cookie mat.
I've been a loyal user of Silpat® non-stick baking mats for years, but the Perfect Cookie Mat has circles printed on it, which acts as a guide for Elle to place the cookies the perfect distance apart - resulting in perfectly spaced cookies every time, without mama's help. Our cookie creations bake evenly and slide right off the pan without using non-stick cooking spray or parchment.
If the Perfect Cookie Mat can help my almost-2-year-old bake up completely uniform, spaced out cookies, I know you'll love it too. Especially when you whip up these Chocolate Mint Cookies, because I'm pretty sure they're going to become a new holiday staple at your house, just like they are at ours.
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 2 1/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50 chocolate mint kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with Silpat® Perfect Cookie mat or parchment paper.
- In large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for one hour.
- Using a small cookie scoop (about 2 teaspoons), scoop dough into balls, about 1 inch in diameter, and roll in granulated sugar.
- Place balls on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- If using Hershey’s Mint Truffle Cookies, allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before topping each cookie with a kiss. If using Milk Chocolate Kisses, you can top each cookie as soon as they come out of the oven.
- I used Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder, but any unsweetened cocoa will work just fine.
- I rolled my dough balls in Chocolate Sugar from King Arthur Flour, but granulated sugar works perfectly.
Silpat Perfect Cookie Mat
Le Creuset Jelly Roll Pan
360 Bakeware Jelly Roll Pan
KitchenAid Stand Mixer