Any coconut macaroon fans out there?
I love, love, love coconut macaroons. One of the best cookies out there in my opinion.
Ever better — chocolate coconut macaroons. The best cookie ever, but with chocolate. Obviously chocolate just makes them better.
Chocolate and coconut is one of the best combos, so clearly these cookies needed to make an appearance on my blog at some point. They've always been one of my favourite cookies, but oddly enough I've never made them before. I honestly don't know why.
Especially now that I have made them. So easy, it's a little bit ridiculous. These chocolate coconut macaroon cookies literally take about ten minutes to get into the oven, and ten minutes to bake. That's just twenty minutes to some fantastic cookies.
Why haven't I made these before now?!
I sort of feel like I've just been wasting my time on macaroon treats like these Bird's Nest Coconut Macaroons and these Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars. I could have been making chocolate coconut macaroons instead. Nah, scratch that. They're all amazing — coconut macaroons always are.
If you want to make these chocolate coconut macaroon cookies a little bit prettier, you could add some white chocolate to the mix. I think they would look really cute with the bottoms dipped in melted white chocolate and a white chocolate drizzle on the tops.
If you like white chocolate that is. I don't (it's just not chocolate!) so I didn't do this — although I will admit that I was tempted just for the prettiness factor.
But then I decided that I wanted to eat these chocolate coconut macaroons, so white chocolate really couldn't be involved.
After all, they are my favourites.
- 4 ounces Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 10 fluid ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 Egg Whites
- 4 cups Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Dutch process, if you like
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate at 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until the chocolate is almost melted. Continue stirring it until it is completely melted. Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk until well combined. Whisk in the egg whites.
- In a large bowl, stir together the coconut and cocoa powder. Add the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined. Form the mixture into 2-tablespoon-size balls and place them on the prepared baking sheets. It will be very sticky so a cookie scoop is the easiest way to do this.
- Bake the macaroons for 10-12 minutes. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Adapted from my Bird’s Nest Cookies.