Join me in celebrating citrus season. Oranges and grapefruit are in full season right now and we need to take advantage of the amazing zing citrus can bring to our diet.
The orange is the perfect snack because it does not need to be washed and is travel friendly. All fruit in this family, like Clementines and Tangelos, are great to take to the ballpark, on a bike ride or can be used as a rejuvenating snack after working out because they are hydrating and full of antioxidants to boost your immune system and keep your skin healthy.
The Ruby Red Grapefruit is one of the most powerful fruits on the planet. It is loaded with Vitamin C and Lycopene, which fights disease and fatigue, and is fantastic when added to a variety of recipes.
Try these two zesty recipes to add some fantastic flavor to your diet and pick up some citrus to keep handy for a morning booster or afternoon snack!
Tip: At the store, choose citrus by a firm, deep or brightly colored skin.
Ruby Red Grapefruit and Shrimp Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 17 minutes
1 tbsp. Canola oil
1 lb. large pre-cooked shrimp, peeled
1 Grapefruit, peeled/segments
Green lettuce for 4 (I like butter lettuce)
1 large carrot, cut in matchsticks
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. fresh OJ
1 tbsp. sesame oil (or light olive oil)
¼ teaspoon chili flakes
2 tbsp. crushed almonds (or peanuts)
1. Heat oil in skillet/medium-high.
2. Add shrimp and brown for 2 minutes on each side.
3. In large bowl, toss grapefruit, carrot and red pepper. In small bowl whisk together orange juice, sesame oil and chili flakes.
4. Add this dressing to salad. Top with shrimp and almonds. Enjoy!
Grapefruit Salsa Fish Tacos
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
1 Ruby Red Grapefruit, divided into segments
1 peeled and sliced avocado
¼ cup chopped cilantro
Juice of one lime
1 lb. fillet of cod/halibut
8 corn tortillas
Thinly sliced red cabbage or lettuce
3. Spray frying pan with cooking spray and lightly cook fish fillets on medium heat (four minutes per side). Stuff tortillas with fish and grapefruit/avocado mixture.