Indie Movies, Historic Site, Theater
429 Castro St (btwn 18th & Market)
San Francisco, CA 94114
- Beautiful SF landmark which is a movie house as well as live performances. Sing-along sound of music is a tradition. -Yigit Pura, Top Chef Just Desserts
- This vintage 1922 movie house is home to a number of film festivals and, in 2008, hosted the world premiere of "Milk," starring Sean Penn.
- I secretly don't like the organ music
- SF Weeklys Best Of 2012 Winner Editorial Pick Best Film Programmer. Keith Arnold had a laudable record on the Bay Area art house scene, notably as co-founder and programmer of the...
- Love everything about this place. Great movies and events and, beautiful theatre, and a true gem for the city. If a movie you like is playing there, go!
- A dramatic movie theatre showing revivals, foreign & indie films and even sing-along movie musicals. As recommended by Travel Channel host, Anthony Bourdain.
- SF Weekly's Best Of 2011 - Reader's Poll - BEST THEATER
- In 1981, the Castro Theatre became the main venue for what is now known as Frameline: the San Francisco International LGBT Film Festival.
- Go to Castro Theater and get here early to see the Wurlitzer organ be played. I'm listening to it right now -- swoon!
- Always loved the Castro, not only for its history and what it stands for, but because they feature great vintage and experimental films and put on interesting film festivals.
- A rep house with a massive pipe organ. Still played every night before screenings! In the 60s and 70s, the dark, vertiginous balcony allowed men to kiss and touch in relative safety and comfort.
- San Francisco's Church of Cinema is a MUST SEE for visitors and locals alike. Never not awesome.
- Not all interactive nightlife options must include alcohol: scores of revelers pack this grande dame for its frequently held sing-along nights.
- If you're a tourist or haven't been to this theatre, it's wirth seeing any old movie here with this awesome audience, theatre, curtain and popcorn.
- Castro Theater is downright gorgeous. Lovely. Old-school charm. It's even got a mighty Wurlitzer organ. Aesthetics aside, they host some of the finest film festivals in the country.
- Organic popcorn with real butter!
- www.WhiteDino.com says, amazing architecture and design inside, bring your camera!
- L'apparition surprise en dbut de sance du "musicien" local est absolument fantastique.
- Bring cash with you, Castro Theater only accepts Cash.
- Frameline at the Castro theater is the best GLBT Film Fest IN THE WORLD.