Caramelized Salmon with Cherry Salsa
This easy grilling recipe is a delicious way to prepare salmon during the summer. Served with a tart cherry salsa that also has some bright tropical flavors, it's a dish that feels like something you would get while on vacation on some faraway beach resort.
- 1 1/2 Pound skin-on salmon fillets
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 Teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 ripe mango or papaya, seeded, peeled, and chopped
- 1 Cup frozen tart cherries, thawed, drained, and halved
- 2 Tablespoons chopped mint, basil, or cilantro
- 2 Teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Thaw the fish, if frozen. In a bowl, stir together the brown sugar, orange peel, and pepper. Place the fish, skin side down, in a shallow pan. Rub the sugar mixture over the fish. Cover and refrigerate for 2-8 hours.
Then, preheat a gas grill on medium heat or prepare a charcoal grill.
Remove the fish from the pan, draining off any juices. Place the salmon, skin-side down, on the grill (if using a charcoal grill, place 4-6 inches from medium-hot coals.) Grill until the fish flakes easily, about 20-25 minutes. Do not turn.
Meanwhile, in another bowl, toss together the mango or papaya, cherries, mint, vinegar, and red chile pepper flakes. Spoon the fruit salsa over the warm fish and serve immediately.