Jazz Club, Speakeasy, Southern / Soul
1439 Griswold St (btwn Grand River & Clifford)
Detroit, MI 48226
5:00pm - 2:00am
8:30pm - 2:00am
- Soul food and very stiff drinks. Best bet? Meet the owner, Larry D'Mongo, and listen to his stories: If they aren't always factual, they're entertaining as hell.
- Andrew and Chuck Bennett visited Cafe d'Mongo's for an upscale version of Detroit soul food. Andrew tasted Leroy's version of peking duck. As seen on Bizarre Foods America.
- If you think you're looking at a mirror and don't see your reflection, don't worry, you didn't disappear. You're just a drunk fucking idiot staring at the other side of the room.
- Dope music and drinks and the decor hasnt changed in 50 years. If youre lucky, Mongo will be there himself, and you can buy him a shot for being so damn cool.
- Try a Detroit Brown (ask red, courtney or christine), and for the love of god get there early enough for soul food.
- Some spots are like sitting in your grandmas old furniture. Prepare for your chin to be table height.
- It's a dark hipster hangout. It seems appropriate to drink things on the rocks.
- Weird time warp - feels like the 40s, 80s, 90s at the same time. Only open Fridays. Say hello to Larry and Diane.
- Drink alot. Listen to the mysic. And dont stare at the walls too much!
- This is a great place to chill with an a great mix of people on a Friday night. Plus the Food is Great also.
- Open only Friday night and some Saturdays. Go here for food and drinks and stay all night for the live music and amazing people watching!
- Fun place! I think we took tambourines off the wall and played them with the band at one point! My friend did have the back pocket of his jeans cut open and his wallet stolen there, though.
- Finally Friday!
- Unless you like your drinks uncomfortably strong, ask for them a little watered down and they are much better
- Enjoy where the locals come to grab a drink and listen to live music.
- Make this stop the Friday night highlight of your week. Live music, booze flowing and the chicken and ribs are the talk of the town.
- I mean, this place couldn't get ANY cooler if it tried. No words to describe this place. You have to check it out! Hip. Hot. Sexy. Cool. <3
- George the piano player is awesome. Their menu is not vegetarian friendly:( the dcor is like Applebee's on Jazz;)
- Love the crowd and the cheap drinks.
- Go to Cafe D'Mongo's for an eclectic bar experience in Downtown Detroit.