This is what I call a "Broke Girl Gourmet" recipe. Namely, something that is quick, cheap, and satisfying. Who doesn't love that? These recipes are oft the result of a kitchen cupboard raid wherein I concoct a semi-sophisticated dish from whatever scraps I scavenge. It is the point at which one is generally alerted that it is time to do groceries. But this girl says let's postpone that cash-n-change chore for just one more day...
...enter Tuna & Black Bean-Stuffed Avocado
What you will need/What I found laying around:
- Hass Avocado
- Canned Tuna
- Petite Peas
- Black Beans
- Yellow Bell Pepper
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Dry Oregano & Parsely (or your favorite herbs)
For the Fishy Filling:
- Finely dice the onion, tomato, and bell pepper.
- Scoop a handful-sized amount of each of the above, as well as the peas and the black beans, into a bowl.
- Pop open 1 can of tuna, drain, and spoon into the bowl.
- To bind with flavor accents add, lemon zest (yes, that makes it a bit more gourmet), juice of that lemon, a 3-second pour of the vinegar (are you catching these precise measurements?), 6 hand-heavy shakes of paprika & herbs, and 2 pinches of ground black pepper.
- Combine gently with a spoon until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Slice the avocado in half, twist the halves apart & remove the pit by whacking it (carefully!) with a heavy knife and twisting it out.
- Scoop most of the flesh from each half, leaving the skin on, ensuring there is room to stuff (leave about a half-inch around the perimeter)
- NOW THE FUN PART: Stuff your perfect little avocado vessels one scoop at a time. Don't be afraid to pack it in.
- If you have leftover filling, feel free to stuff as many avocados (or whatever else you may find) as your tongue desires.
And there you have it. No muss, no fuss, no cooking required. Just a smooth salty snack in a quaint cup that trumps Cup o' Noodles any day.
Check back for more "Broke Girl Gourmet" recipes and ideas coming your way. This is girl is choc full o' cheap.