Bear Mountain State Park
State / Provincial Park, Trail, Scenic Lookout
Palisades Interstate Pkwy
Bear Mountain, NY 10911
- As far from it all as you can get without leaving Rockland. Includes a pool, a zoo, nature museums, paddle boats, kids carousel and hiking trails, plus ice skating in winter.
- If you can hike (rather than drive) to the top of Bear Mountain, definitely go for it! Take the Appalachian Trail. It's a very steep climb, but worth the view! Great workout!
- Major milage, elevation and level of difficulty. Doing asap!
- In addition to the hiking and camping, this is also a great spot for just a family picnic and some outdoor grilling
- Spend the day in your hiking boots on the Appalachian Trail as it crosses the summits of Bear and West Mountains, then circle back on the SB Yellow blaze trail. 9.7 miles and worth the solitude.
- Go to Oktoberfest. Skip the Brautwurst and get the build-your-own belgium waffles.
- Get a table by the lake. Long lines but good beer and great views.
- 50 mile bike ride from central park. go there and back if you're ambitious, or take metro-north home from across the river.
- Great park for hiking and family fun!
- Really nice park, great hikes, perfect to go with your kids.
- Kick ass place for family camping and riding your sports bike be careful of the asshole cops that have nothing to do but eat donuts
- Instead of driving to the top, hike/rock climb one of the two trails that lead there from the main parking area. Neither is easy, but it makes the view so much better! :)
- Take a drive up Perkins Memorial drive to the tower and a great view over the Hudson.
- Fun place, lots to do. Bring your own food. My boys love going. The bathrooms need some renovations they are pretty gross especially the ones by the pool.
- Got here and Oktoberfest is canceled!
- Anything with beer is good
- Bring your own Stien
- get there early. parking lots become full well before noon
- Get a table early and keep it. The tourist don't know how to act.
- don't hike-up the stone stairs, unless you're interested in a leg work-out similar to running up-stairs.