One thing I learned, however, is that it’s best to keep things simple. No need to get too complicated. Let the cheese shine and serve with just one or two things to complement the flavor.
Since Thanksgiving through New Year’s (then the Super Bowl and that Oscar party) is entertainment central, I wanted a sophisticated, yet simple, offering that I could serve as an appetizer or snack.
My go-to is usually an easy crap dip appetizer with cream cheese, but I wanted to expand my fromage horizon.
This Bacon Goat Cheese Log fits the bill, plus it can be assembled ahead of time. Oh, and did I mention it has bacon? Yes, instant party pleaser right there!
If you’ve never had fresh goat cheese, it’s a cheese made from goat’s milk with a tang similar to cream cheese, but stronger. It has a certain grass-like note that is distinct to goat cheese.
It’s great crumbled over a salad, melted on pizza or pasta, or paired with sweet fruit. I plan on stuffing it in empanadas since we eat a lot of Puerto Rican style food in my house, but can’t decide if I should go sweet or savory. Maybe both!
Goat cheese can stand up to strong flavors so I decided to pair it with bacon. Simply unwrap your cheese, roll in finely chopped bacon and – voila! Your appetizer is ready to be served with crackers or a sliced baguette. It’s a roll of tangy, salty, smoky, creamy deliciousness! To really spiff things up, try using peppered bacon.
If you plan to serve with wine, might I suggest Sauvignon Blanc or a fruity red such as Beaujolais? And if by some odd chance you have some of this Bacon Goat Cheese Log leftover, crumble over roasted vegetables, like carrots, for a fantastic side dish.
- 8 ounces fresh goat cheese, 1 log
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- crackers, for serving
- Sprinkle the bacon on a flat surface and roll the goat cheese to coat the surface. Press bacon bits into any bare spots.
- Roll log in plastic wrap and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Serve with crackers.
- Burger King Has Chicken Tenders for the First Time Ever
- What PDA Is OK Today — and What Isn’t
- Why You Should Never Sleep in on the Weekends
- The 25 Most Popular Halloween Candies in America
- 260-Layer Cake Breaks Guinness World Record