Oh boy you guys, I think I just stumbled onto the best new portable tailgating snack EVER. I mean, they are handheld which makes them so easy to snag one in one hand while you down that cocktail or beer you’re enjoying in the other.
It’s like I only think of you guys and how to help you enjoy amazing food easily, right?
Seriously, though, I’ll do it again and again and again. There’s just something special about having great food before heading to a game or while you’re rooting for your favorite team at home. I swear, it even makes a difference as to whether your team wins.
Is there avocado and cheese involved?
Odds are, your team is heading for a serious w-i-n.
Don’t take this as a guarantee though… I’d hate to be wrong and have you come back and shame me forever and ever.
When you take that first warm, buttery smooth bite, you’re going to feel like you’re having an out of body experience.
It’s creamy, it’s savory, it’s spicy and it’s bursting with insane amounts of flavor. These turnovers would already be insanely delicious without the cream cheese, but the cream cheese makes the over-the-top indulgent.
Then entire thing just melts in your mouth, starting with the buttery puff pastry and all the way down to the warm cherry tomatoes and spicy jalapeño pieces. They’re a little bit like my avocado goat cheese crostini – cousins, even.
Everything you would want to find inside a turnover crust, without you ever knowing you wanted it!
Even if you are just stuffing your face with these on a Tuesday night when there’s no football on – I promise you won’t get any judgment from me. I might just invite myself over and insist that you let me join in on the feast!
- 1 puff pastry
- 1/2 avocado, sliced and then slices cut in half
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- On a lightly floured work surface, slightly roll out the puff pastry into a square. Cut the square into 3 strips horizontally, then cut 4 strips vertically to make little rectangles.
- Beat together egg and water in a small bowl to form an egg wash.
- In a small bowl, stir together jalapeño, cherry tomatoes, Monterey jack cheese, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Place 2 half slices of avocado on half of the rectangles. Top with a slice of cream cheese. Top this with a spoonful of the cherry tomato mixture.
- Brush the edges of the pastry squares with the egg wash. Top each filled puff pastry slice with another, pinching the edges together to form a pop tart shape. Use a form to press the edges in and firmly seal.
- Place on baking sheet and brush tops with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.