American Coney Island
Hot Dogs, American
114 W Lafayette Blvd (at Michigan Ave.)
Detroit, MI 48226
Lists & rankings
- American or Lafayette? This spot is 1 of the 2 most popular Coney Dog spots in Detroit. As seen on Man v Food Nation.
- Serving up their own version of the Detroit coney dog, this diner has its own loyal following of die hard fans, and it is definitely 100% Detroit. [Eater 38 Member]
- Go next door to Lafayette, your at the wrong place
- Yeah Lafayette Coney is way better than American lol
- The hot dogs here suck !!! Layfayette is the best coney island ever !!!!!
- I would have to say I'm a bigger fan of the American coney island. Ignore the other Greek dishes on the menu; the coney here is the real deal - lightly toasted bun sharp onions and a light beef chili
- Come for more than coney dogs -- American has salads, wraps, burgers etc. And they are big charitable supporters!
- Unless you really like Mexican-style cheese on your dog, do not ask for cheese. I thought I was getting some sort of liquid cheese, and ended up with what looked like a taco. Good dog though.
- Tried both tonight...Lafayette is so much better!!!
- Lafayette Coney is really good , American Coney , not so much
- Chili cheese fries with everything!
- womp womp...
- American or Lafayette? Try the Detroit staple, a coney island, with chili cheese fries and a pop for a taste of a Motor City classic.
- This place KILLS the place next door. Real talk.
- American all the way!
- Well, was talked into American over Lafayette. Big mistake. In my Gyro was a long hair that wasn't mine or the lady's. My girlfriend's "premium" hot dog was completely charred on one side. Avoid.
- Make sure to talk to Dan Dan the Hotdog Man!! He knows his shtick!
- Eat next door at Lafayette Coney Island they have better coney Dogs
- Great quick meal at a great price! It's a little more spacious and than its rival next door, and also has a little more variety, serving gyros in addition to their delicious coneys and loose burgers.
- I like going at night. It's super peaceful to be in the city at night. Gotta get a coney!